International Students

Skills Training Australia offers international students the following qualifications at our Melbourne, CBD campus that can take you a step further on your career path:

HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance (CRICOS Course Code 093438M)

HLT54115 Diploma of Nursing (CRICOS Course Code 093439K)

HLT64115 Advanced Diploma of Nursing (CRICOS Course Code 092718M)


Course Entry Requirements

For HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance (CRICOS Course Code 093438M):

International applicants must be 18 years or older
Year 11 or equivalent certificate of senior secondary education
IELTS (Academic) score of 6.0 (or equivalent).

(If the level of English is insufficient, a suitable course can be organised)

Note: to be eligible to continue to the Diploma level, applicants must show that they have achieved an IELTS (Academic) score of 7.0 in reading, writing, listening and speaking by the end of HLT33115. 

For HLT54115 Diploma of Nursing (CRICOS Course Code 093439K):

International applicants must be 18 years or older

IELTS (Academic) score of 7.0 with no band score less than 7.0 (or equivalent) 

The IELTS test results can be from:

  • In one test sitting; or
  • A maximum of two test sittings within a six month period only if:
    • Applicants achieved a minimum overall IELTS (academic) score of 7.0 in each sitting; and
    • Applicants achieved a minimum IELTS (Academic) score of 7.0 in each component across two test sittings; and
    • No band score less than 6.5 (or equivalent)

(If the level of English is insufficient, a suitable course can be organised)

For HLT64115 Advanced Diploma of Nursing (CRICOS Course Code 092718M):

International applicants must be 18 years or older
Successful completion of the Diploma of Nursing
Registered as an Enrolled Nurse with AHPRA
IELTS (academic) band score of 7.0 (or equivalent) with no band score less than 7.0

The current English language entry requirements for registration as an Enrolled and Registered Nurse are available at.

International Fees

The international tuition fees for each of our approved courses are as follows:


International Tuition Fee

HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance (CRICOS Course Code 093438M)


HLT54115 Diploma of Nursing (CRICOS Course Code 093439K)


HLT64115 Advanced Diploma of Nursing (CRICOS Course Code 092718M)



Complete the Application Forms

Please download and complete the following two forms: 

International Student Application Form 
SSVF Regular Application Form

Attach All Relevant Information

Completed Application Form 
Completed SSVF Regular Application Form
Copy of Highest Qualification Achieved
Copy of Passport
Copy of IELTS Test or equivalent
Other relevant document (please refer to the application forms for assistance)

Submit your Application

Post or email your application forms with the supporting documents to our CBD Office:
Skills Training Australia
Level 14
459 Little Collins Street


Upon Successful Application

If your application is successful, we will send you an Offer Letter offering you a place in the course.

Payment of Fees

On receipt of the Offer Letter and upon signing the Student Agreement you will need to pay your tuition fees and the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) if applicable. Please refer to the payment details as outlined in the Letter of Offer.

IMPORTANT: As an international student, you are required to have OSHC to ensure that you are covered in the case of medical emergencies or illness. International students must provide payment for your OSHC or proof of existing OSHC before your enrolment can be confirmed. We can arrange your Health Cover if you need. For more information, refer to

Student Visa Requirements

Contact your nearest Australian Embassy or Consulate to find out more about the process or visit the Australian Immigration website for current information applicable to you:

Permission to Work
When applying for your student visa, you are required to provide evidence of financial capacity to support your period of stay in Australia. Permission to work is intended to provide you with an enriched cultural and social experience in Australia. You should not rely on work to fund your studies.

If you and your family members are granted student visas you will be allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight once your course has commenced. Neither you nor your family members may commence work until the principal visa holder has commenced studying.

While the course you are studying is in session you cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight. No work limits apply during recognised periods of vacation offered by your education provider. Family members will be allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight throughout the year.

ESOS Framework

Australia’s laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS Framework and they include the Education Services for Overseas (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code.

For more information about the ESOS Framework, please visit

Living in Melbourne

Modern City
Melbourne is Australia’s second largest city and home to approximately 100,000 international students.
Cosmopolitan and friendly lifestyle
Modern Architecture Federation Square, St Kilda Beach, South Bank, The Great Ocean Road Tour
Safe environment
Discover what makes Melbourne a great place to live and study by visiting and

Multi-cultural City
Multi-cultural population of more than 3 million
People from more than 100 countries
Large international student population
Local communities from many cultural backgrounds
Ethnic food, grocery stores, restaurants, and community newspapers and magazines in many languages                                                                                                              

Melbourne Attractions
Queen Victoria Market (known as 'Vic Market'), Melbourne Cricket Ground, St Kilda esplanade, Royal Botanic Gardens, and more.

Temperate Climate
Melbourne has a comfortable temperate climate with 4 seasons. Summer is generally hot and dry, and winter is cool with occasional rain. It is a good idea to bring a woolen sweater or windproof jacket for the winter months. In summer, light cotton clothing is best.

On campus, most students dress casually: T-shirts, jeans, sweaters, shorts, windcheaters and comfortable shoes.

Please note: The seasons in Australia are opposite to the northern hemisphere. Summer occurs at the start and end of the year, and winter is in the middle of the year.

Melbourne Transport
Trams, buses and trains are a cheap and easy way to get around Melbourne. The Journey Planner available at can assist you with planning your travel and getting around Melbourne.

Public transport travel tickets entitle you to transport on all trains, buses and trams within the zone/s for which you have paid for. The transport system does not operate from Melbourne to the Airport.

Further information on the public transport system (fares, tickets, timetables) please visit the Public Transport website at

Please note: International students are not entitled to concession fares, so you must pay the full adult fare. The pre-paid ticket is a way of saving money.

Shopping in Melbourne
Opening Hours
Most shops open from 9:00am to 5:00pm Mondays to Saturdays, except on Thursdays, when shops are usually open from 9:00am to 9:00pm.

Shops in the Central Business District and major suburban shopping centres also open from 10:00am to 4:00pm on Sundays.

Credit Cards and Debit Cards
Almost all shops accept major credit cards and debit (EFTPOS) cards.

In Australia, most shops sell items at a fixed, marked price.

However, you might be able to get a lower price on some items (for example, furniture or electrical goods), if:

Another store is offering the same item for a lower price
Items are second-hand
You are shopping at markets
You are paying cash

Supermarkets sell fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, frozen foods, canned goods, bread, paper products, stationery, personal needs and some non-prescription medicines.

Many supermarkets are open late at night 7 days a week.

Department Stores
Department stores sell clothing, shoes, furniture, computers, electrical goods, kitchenware, and gifts. Compare price and quality, and look out for discount sales.

Large Shopping Centres
Large shopping centres are located in Melbourne's Central Business District, in Melbourne suburbs and in larger regional cities and towns.

Large shopping centres usually contain:
Major department stores (David Jones, Myer, Target, K-Mart, Big-W)
Supermarkets (Coles, Woolworths, Franklins)
Specialist stores selling books, clothing, computers and software, telephones, sportswear and music
Cafes and fast-food outlets
Movie theatres

Local Markets
Markets sell new and second-hand goods. There are a number of weekend markets. You can bargain at some stalls.

Some well-known food and clothing markets in Melbourne are:

Queen Victoria Market Melbourne’s largest markets.
Prahran Market has great delicatessens reflecting the affluence of nearby South Yarra and Toorak. 
The fish at the Footscray Market is plentiful and cheap as one would expect with a large Vietnamese population.
The Preston Market has a strong Mediterranean influence.
South Melbourne Market offers produce on a Sunday, while at the Gleadell Street Market in Richmond you can still find produce grown in local back gardens and a homely European flavour.

Melbourne and Victoria have a large number of markets selling art and crafts. Some markets have conditions specifying that all goods should be hand made or home made or that the stallholder must have been directly involved with the manufacture of the goods, etc. Some prominent art and craft markets of this type are the St Kilda Esplanade Market and the Arts Centre Sunday Market.

Online Markets
Second-hand goods, from household items to motor vehicles, are advertised on sites such as Trading Post and eBay.



You have different accommodation choices: 

'Homestay' is when you live with an Australian family in their home. The homestay family provides you with meals, laundry facilities and your own room with a study desk. You are usually asked to share some household chores. Homestay also gives you the chance to practise your English every day at home.

Homestay costs range from A$200-A$230 per week.

Hostel Accommodation
Hostels provide a friendly, safe, supervised environment. You get your own room or a shared room. Dining room, games room and television room are communal. Many hostels also provide meals.

Shared rooms cost about A$30-A$35 per night and private rooms cost about A$60-A$80 per night.

Sharing a House or Apartment
When you share a house or apartment with one or more other people, you are more independent than if you are living in homestay or hostel accommodation.

You need to supply your own furniture if the house/apartment is unfurnished. You also have to supply your own towels, pillows, sheets and blankets.

You share the cost of rent, telephone, electricity and gas. You need to buy your own food and do your own laundry and cooking, although many sharing arrangements include sharing the cooking.

Renting by Yourself
Studio apartments or one-bedroom apartments are smaller and less expensive to rent than larger apartments.

You need to provide your own furniture if the house or apartment is unfurnished. You also need to supply your own pillows, sheets and blankets, and pay for expenses such as electricity, gas, and telephone. You also need to clean your apartment, do your own laundry, buy your own food and do your own cooking.

Costs depend on the size and location of the apartment or house.

Estimated costs for Melbourne
Accommodation Weekly Cost Estimate:

  • 1-bedroom apartment A$180-A$350
  • Shared 2-bedroom apartment (per bedroom) A$125-A$200
  • Shared 3-bedroom house (per bedroom) A$100-A$180

Please note: Accommodation is cheaper outside Melbourne CBD.

Global Experience
If you would like Skills Training Australia to organise accommodation, we use Global Experience. To find out more, please refer to their website:

You can apply directly through their website or Skills Training Australia can take care of this for you. Please also refer to Global Experience's Student Guidelines and Homestay Booking Form below:

Global Experience - Student Guidelines  
Global Experience - Homestay Booking Form

Study & Work

International students can work part-time while studying.
There is plenty of part-time work available in Melbourne and surrounding regions.
Many students like to work part time while they are studying.
Part-time work:
Gives you extra money;
Can help you make friends and improve your English.

Work should not interfere with your studies or attendance in class
You should not rely on income from part-time work to pay your living or tuition expenses
Tax file number (TFN)

What is a Tax File Number (TFN)?
An identity number issued to you by the Australian Tax Office (ATO).

Do I need a TFN?
It is not compulsory to have a TFN. However, if you do not have a TFN, you may pay more tax than necessary on your income from your job, or on the interest on savings in your bank account.

When you earn money from a part-time job you must pay Australian taxes. At the end of each financial year (30 June), you claim back the income tax from the Australian Tax Office (ATO). This is easy to do. You then receive a tax refund cheque from the ATO.

Your employer and your bank (if you open a bank account) will ask you for your Tax File Number.

When should I apply for a TFN?
Before you start part-time work
You can only apply for a TFN when you arrive in Australia

Telephone, Post & Web

Australia has a modern communications network and it is easy to contact family and friends locally or in your home country.

Public Payphones
Public payphones that accept coins can be found in airports, post offices, railway stations, shopping centres and in the centre of the city.

Local calls are untimed. They cost 50c from a payphone if you use coins. Long-distance and international calls are charged by the minute.

Mobile Phones
Mobile phone services are available from several mobile service companies which offer a wide range of phones and payment options.

Depending on the network in your home country, you may be able to connect your existing mobile phone to an Australian network by installing a new SIM card. Mobile call costs may be more expensive than fixed line calls.

Many students find it easier to buy pre-paid mobile phone packages which also help to budget for telephone costs.

Overseas phone cards are also available. These offer cheap call rates. You can buy overseas phone cards from most news agencies and convenience.

Internet cafes that provide internet services at low rates are easy to find in city areas.

The internet can also be connected at your Australian house or apartment. To arrange this, contact an internet service provider.

Postal services
Australia Post is Australia’s national postal service. Australia Post delivers letters and cards to your home.


Living Costs and Banking

The Australian Government estimates that the average living costs for an international student is approximately A$20,000 per year. This pays for food, accommodation, telephone, gas, electricity, transport and entertainment.

Your living costs could be higher or lower than this, depending on where you study and the lifestyle that you live. It usually costs more to live in Melbourne than in other cities or towns in Victoria.

Guide to living costs for one week
Accommodation (house or apartment shared with others): A$150 - A$250
Food: A$60 - A$100
Utilities: telephone, electricity, gas (shared costs with others) A$40 - A$80
Public transport: A$20 - A$50
Entertainment: A$30 - A$60 
TOTAL: A$300 - A$540

Find out more about the cost of living in Melbourne via the Insiders Guide link here

There are a large number of local and foreign banks and other financial institutions in Australia.

Banks are usually open between 10:00am and 4:00pm Mondays to Thursdays, and between 10:00am and 5:00pm on Fridays. Some banks open on Saturday mornings in suburban shopping centres.

You can withdraw cash at any time (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) from Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs).

Most banks also provide:
Telephone and internet banking
Savings and cheque accounts
Credit cards and debit cards
Foreign currency exchange and travellers’ cheques
Other financial services such as loans, bank drafts and transfer of funds

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

As an international student, you are required to have OSHC to ensure that you are covered in the case of medical emergencies or illness.

What does OHSC provide?
OSHC covers international students for certain medical costs if you need to visit a doctor or go to hospital
Check the policy carefully, including the details of what is covered
Extra cover is available for an additional fee
Serious medical problems should be treated before you come to Australia, as standard OSHC generally does not cover pre-existing medical conditions

How do I arrange OHSC?
You can arrange OSHC yourself, or
Skills Training Australia can arrange standard OSHC cover for you with the medical fund insurer, BUPA.


Students must be immunised prior to attending clinical placement.

Students will come into contact with a large variety of individuals while attending clinical placement. Some of these people may have a communicable disease. Enrolled Nurses are categorised as a Category A Health Care Worker. These workers are defined as being at risk of exposure to contaminated blood and body fluids (DoH, 2010).

Immunisation is one of the most effective public health measures for the control of communicable diseases, protecting both the individual and the community as a whole.

For the protection of students and of potential clients, evidence of vaccination status is required by certain clinical placement agencies prior to attendance. 

For further information on recommended immunisation for Category A Health Care Workers, please refer to the Department of Health website at:

International Student Agents

Skills Training Australia has a listing of international student agents who can assist you with your student visa application:

Agent List

Contact Us

If you would like to discuss your study options with Skills Training Australia please contact our parent College, Academies Australasia on +61 (02) 9224 5500 for assistance; alternatively you can make an online enquiry here.